Re: Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:25:52 +1100
On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:29:30PM -0500, Richard Coleman wrote:
>But I've often wondered how frequently a production system has such
>problems.  I've been a sysadmin for many years and can't remember this
>ever happening.  It's much more common to blow a hard drive, or have
>flaky memory, etc.

We've had a customer whose "system administrator" installed a root
cronjob including "rm -r / somedirectory/tmp" (note the space) - on
all four production machines as well as their model system.  (The
person in question is a classic example of "a little knowledge is a
dangerous thing").  The console logs (which were on another unaffected
system) made interesting reading - he had spent a significant amount
of time attempting to reboot the systems before calling for help.

Peter