Re: Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:41:43 +1100
On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:51:48PM +0100, boyd, rounin wrote:
>From: "Peter Jeremy" <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
>> >Shouldn't that be 'chmod +t /bin/sh' ???
>>
>> Definitely.  Why waste a new bit when there's already a perfectly good
>> one that is (or was) defined for the purpose.
>
>the 't' bit was known as the 'sticky' bit to keep frequently used,
>sharable (judged by a human) text segments in core.  since then
>that bit has been overloaded to death.

The purpose for setting the 't' bit was to speed up exec'ing of
frequently used executables by avoiding the need to load the text
segment from the filesystem.  This is exactly what the suggested
pre-linking achieves.

As for overloading the 't' bit, I don't believe it's ever been used
for anything else on executable files.  I agree it grew a distinct
meaning for directories but the 'x' bits have always meant different
things on files and directories and the setgid bit means different
things on executable and non-executable files.

>shared libraries have always been a mistake.

That is a matter of opinion.  Shared libraries have both advantages
and disadvantages.  Statically linking /usr/X11R6/bin demonstrates
one advantage of shared libraries.

Peter