Re: Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

From: othermark <atkin901_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:16:16 -0800
I got bit by this just two days ago.  I have one machine that tracks
-current.  It upgraded to DYNAMICROOT just fine.  I nfs mounted /usr/src
and /usr/obj on another 5.0-release machine made the necessary adjustments,
installed the kernel, rebooted, remounted and began make installworld.  It
failed.  The only thing that saved me was being able to nfs mount /rescue
from the -current machine.  I then selectively copied stuff from /usr/obj
into the respective places to get various 'make install' stuff to work, in
order to get to a point where I could re-run make installworld.

THANKFULLY mount was statically linked (and make installworld had not yet
overwritten it).  Yes I still could have recovered this using a cd/floppy
(neither of which this headless machine has), but it would have been a
serious PITA.

--
othermark
atkin901 at nospam dot yahoo dot com