RE: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: Guy Helmer <ghelmer_at_palisadesys.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:14:34 -0600
Tim Kientzle wrote on Thursday, November 20, 2003 6:31 PM
> Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> > At 6:26 PM +0100 11/17/03, Julian Stacey wrote:
> >> Seconded !  Better commit an improved switch with
> >> default = Off.
> >
> > The time for voting was months ago.
>
> I'm pretty comfortable with the failsafes that we
> have in place:
>   * /sbin/init is static
>   * If /bin/sh fails, /rescue/sh can be run
>   * /rescue provides a complete set of statically-linked
>     sysadmin utilities that should be sufficient
>     for recovering a damaged system.

Thanks to /rescue and the live filesystem archives on
current.freebsd.org, I was able to recover a machine
that I hosed after the statfs change by trying to installworld
without building & booting a new kernel first.

Regarding the performance loss due to the dynamic /bin and /sbin,
wouldn't prebinding help?

Guy Helmer