Re: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_acm.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:03:37 -0800
Guy Helmer wrote:
> Thanks to /rescue and the live filesystem archives on
> current.freebsd.org, I was able to recover a machine
> that I hosed after the statfs change by trying to installworld
> without building & booting a new kernel first.

Great!  Any changes you could suggest
to /rescue based on that experience?

> Regarding the performance loss due to the dynamic /bin and /sbin,
> wouldn't prebinding help?

Probably.

Profiling the dynamic-link code would probably
also help.

NetBSD made this change a long time ago,
and Luke Mewburn observed that switching
/bin to dynamic linking prompted a lot of
people to study and optimize the dynamic
linking code, with big wins for programs
like Mozilla and OpenOffice that rely heavily
on shared libraries.

Tim