RE: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: Guy Helmer <ghelmer_at_palisadesys.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:33:51 -0600
Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Guy Helmer wrote:
> > Thanks to /rescue and the live filesystem archives on
> > current.freebsd.org, I was able to recover a machine
> > that I hosed after the statfs change by trying to installworld
> > without building & booting a new kernel first.
>
> Great!  Any changes you could suggest
> to /rescue based on that experience?

Sure -- I could have used the ftp client (or fetch) in /rescue :-)
(/me ducks)

As it was, I downloaded /lib/libc.so.5 from the Nov 10 live filesys
on another machine, copied it to a DOS floppy, mounted the floppy on
the hosed machine using /rescue/mount_msdos, and used /rescue/cp to
copy libc into place.  Then I was able to config & rebuild the kernel,
reboot, and bring the machine back to life with the statfs changes.

> > Regarding the performance loss due to the dynamic /bin and /sbin,
> > wouldn't prebinding help?
>
> Probably.
>
> Profiling the dynamic-link code would probably
> also help.
>
> NetBSD made this change a long time ago,
> and Luke Mewburn observed that switching
> /bin to dynamic linking prompted a lot of
> people to study and optimize the dynamic
> linking code, with big wins for programs
> like Mozilla and OpenOffice that rely heavily
> on shared libraries.

Hmm, sounds like a good challenge.

Guy