Re: Machine freeze when X starts

From: Jens Rehsack <rehsack_at_liwing.de>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:07:51 +0000
Robert Watson wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Jens Rehsack wrote:
>

>>>Hmm.  This failure mode is fairly common when a resource deadlock or lock
>>>deadlock occurs in some kernel subsystems.  Any chance you can get a
>>>serial console on the box so you can drop to DDB and generate some ps and
>>>stacktrace output?
>>
>>It seems to me a little bit more complicated to setup the serial
>>console, so: yes, I can do it, but not today. Or - if you have a small
>>"quick get DDB to serial console without many trouble", I can give it a
>>quick start. I'll try to do this week.
>
> Hook up a null modem cable to the first serial port on your machine, and
> to a serial port on another machine.  On the other machine, use tip to
> attach to the com port, or some other com program of your choice.  Speed
> should be 9600.

Hi Robert,

I had to build the kernels and world for the remote machine before,
because I hadn't enabled the serial devices in the kernel, but I
didn't get ready before today.
I didn't get tip running, but my old serial terminal (Robotron P8000)
worked fine. But the bug was gone in the meantime, so - sorry for now.
But for the next time, I'm prepared.

Best regards,
Jens