Re: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 04:26:35 +0000
On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:42:58AM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 5:22 PM -0800 2003/11/22, David O'Brien wrote:
>
> > Please, NO.  There wasn't an FTP client available for this type of
> > recovery pre-/rescue, there shouldn't be one now.
>
> 	Why?  Why cut your nose off to spite your face?  Even though this
> capability may not have existed before, why shouldn't we have it now?

I think David has valid concerns here about feeping creaturism. fetch
has a whole load of library dependencies which go with it, making it
unsuitable for inclusion in /rescue in the base system.

If you want access to fetch early on in this way, you could make a local
branch and maintain the change for your own site, or you could boot from
a FreeBSD live CD, or use sysinstall from the installation CD to install
a package. I don't see fetch as a requirement for diskless clients.

Regards,
BMS