Re: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: Maxim M. Kazachek <stranger_at_sberbank.sibnet.ru>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:51:53 +0600 (NOVT)
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:42:58AM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
>> At 5:22 PM -0800 2003/11/22, David O'Brien wrote:
>>
>> > Please, NO.  There wasn't an FTP client available for this type of
>> > recovery pre-/rescue, there shouldn't be one now.
>>
>> 	Why?  Why cut your nose off to spite your face?  Even though this
>> capability may not have existed before, why shouldn't we have it now?
>
>I think David has valid concerns here about feeping creaturism. fetch
>has a whole load of library dependencies which go with it, making it
>unsuitable for inclusion in /rescue in the base system.
>
>If you want access to fetch early on in this way, you could make a local
>branch and maintain the change for your own site, or you could boot from
>a FreeBSD live CD, or use sysinstall from the installation CD to install
>a package. I don't see fetch as a requirement for diskless clients.

	Not diskless clients, but ruined FreeBSD installation. IMHO
/rescue is created for it. We shouldn't put fetch into /bin, but placing
fetch into crunched executable may be helpful in case of system restore.

   Sincerely, Maxim M. Kazachek
       mailto:stranger_at_sberbank.sibnet.ru
       mailto:stranger_at_fpm.ami.nstu.ru