Re: 40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:12:43 -0700 (MST)
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :I think that you forgot to attach the patches that demonstrate all of
> :this.
> :
> :Also, I'm really starting to resent you using the FreeBSD mailing lists as
> :an advocacy channel for DragonFly.  I fail to see how FreeBSD 4.x and
> :DFBSD relate to FreeBSD 5-current, which is the overall topic of this
> :mailing list at the moment.
> :
> :Scott
>
>     That's too bad, Scott.  You are just going to have to live with it.
>
>     From my point of view anything related to BSD is fair and reasonable
>     game, and regardless of anything else this mailing list is discussing
>     topics and things that are near and dear to my heart and I have a perfect
>     right to comment on them.  I've contributed a considerable amount of
>     time and effort to FreeBSD and I have a right to be on this list.
>
>     From my point of view, it's all under the same open-source umbrella
>     anyway.  The moment you start thinking of a project in isolation is
>     the moment you start to disconnect from your responsibility to the
>     project and to all the users and developers who depend on the project.
>
>     I still run a lot of FreeBSD boxes and know people who run a lot of
>     FreeBSD boxes and, frankly, that gives me just as much right to comment
>     on the future directions of FreeBSD as you or anyone else.
>
>     So you are just going to have to live with it.  Maybe instead of fuming
>     over DFly you should consider the work from a more technical standpoint.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon_at_backplane.com>

I am eager to see what you can do with DFBSD.  I really, truly, am.  Until
then, trolling the FreeBSD mailing lists with uninformed statements about
5.x and propaganda about DFBSD doesn't really mean a whole lot, unless you
are looking for new recruits to your camp.  In any case, you've made your
point on a nearly daily basis that 5.x is inferior to what DFBSD will be,
and that you don't have much knowledge or care about 5.x anyways.  So
please, go do what you do best and make DFBSD the envy of the BSD world.
I'll be first in line to pat you on the back when you succeed.

Scott