Re: HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:41:53 -0500
At 10:09 AM -0600 11/25/03, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 24, 2003, I heard the voice of
>    David O'Brien, and lo! it spake thus:
>  > On Mon, Nov 24, 2003, Michael Edenfield wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Would it be possible, through some make.conf magic, for
>  > > the end-user to set extra programs to be put into /rescue
>  > > that are not typically there?
>  > >
>>  > RESCUE_EXTRAPRGS= usr.bin/vi usr.bin/fetch
>>
>>  This list could easily need things added to librescue.
>
>If you can delay building the rescue stuff until after
>everything else, you can use ldd(1) on the built binaries
>for everything else and hash up the list from that.

It is a bit more complicated than that, because programs may
include embedded references to other files.  So, I think
some developer would *have* to do a little up-front work for
any program that would be optionally-added to /rescue.

Also, if you completely automate it, then a year from now
someone will make a change to 'vi' which drags in a few
extra libraries, and people will be blind-sided with a much
larger /rescue.  If someone is watching what happens, they
could #ifdef-out that extra code for the /rescue version.

I do like the idea, but to do it right *will* involve extra
work for each optional program.  I would gladly do that extra
work for any programs that I cared to have in /rescue -- but
personally I set up dual-boot systems, so I don't really care
about any of them...  :-)

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org