Re: 40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

From: Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:14:21 -0600
On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:50:25AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Just not thinking out of the box, maybe.

Matt, I'm talking about the de facto standard NSS, as found in Solaris
and Linux; and now FreeBSD 5 [*] and soon NetBSD [**].  You are talking
about some better mousetrap.  The latter does not have any relevance
to this thread, which is about dynamic linking in next release of
FreeBSD.

If you want to talk about FreeBSD 6.x and a better mousetrap, please
go right ahead with a new thread here on freebsd-current or over on
freebsd-arch.

If you want to talk about the future of DragonFlyBSD, I'm sure there
is an appropriate list for that--- this one ain't it.  Parts of your
message certainly seemed to describe what might be best for some other
operating system.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   NTT/Verio SME      FreeBSD UNIX       Heimdal
nectar_at_celabo.org jvidrine_at_verio.net nectar_at_freebsd.org nectar_at_kth.se

Side notes:

[*] The actual APIs used by Solaris and Linux are *very* different;
and the APIs used by FreeBSD are *somewhat* different from Linux.
However, because the *core concepts* are the same--- dynamic loading,
in-process modules--- portability issues are not much of a problem.

[**] NetBSD doesn't support dynamic loading yet, but has had
considerable influence on the FreeBSD implementation.  NetBSD
developers have indicated to me that they expect to bring in
the FreeBSD changes so that there will be basically the same
implementation on FreeBSD and NetBSD.