Re: 40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

From: Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:54:27 -0600
On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:39:11PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     My original opinion
>     still stands... you guys are using this issue as an excuse to basically
>     do away with static binaries, rather then fixing the real problem which
>     is an inability to dynamically load modules in a static binary.

No, it is one of the issues that have been pushing FreeBSD (and most
other modern UNIX systems, it seems) towards more dynamically linked
components.  The other issues have also been discussed on this list
recently and in the pass.  I'm not sure why this one draws such
interest.  (I participate in this thread only because I feel like I
know a thing or two about the NSS details.)

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   NTT/Verio SME      FreeBSD UNIX       Heimdal
nectar_at_celabo.org jvidrine_at_verio.net nectar_at_freebsd.org nectar_at_kth.se