Re[2]: requesting vinum help

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:05:14 +0100
>> Could a vinum guru please contact me via email?
>>
>> I've lost 2 vinum volumes as a result of the latest fiasco and naturally
>> am eager to figure out what's going on and recover the data.

EA> This isn't necessarily directed at you - I'm just using this email as a
EA> footstep to send this general comment -

EA> I am kind of under the assumption that -current is more of a test bed,
EA> and anything can happen at any time, which is why it's bad to run
EA> -current on a machine you care deeply about (at least its data).  I
EA> think I've seen at least 5 mails in the past few weeks about people
EA> getting jammed into a corner with (what sounds like) production type
EA> boxes, or at least important boxes (or they wouldn't need a vinum?)

There is the point! If no-one would ever take the risk of running
-current on a bigger, more important box no-one would have the
capabilities to test vinum and other large scale stuff in realistic
environments. No my suggestion is to help those (brave) guys rather
than screaming: "Fool, don't you know it's -current!?"

The not so good point about the original request is that he is looking
for private assistance, while the problem and - even more - the
solution of it might be very interesting to all of us (more than much
of the other ongoing threads, for sure).

EA> .. It seems odd to me that they wouldn't give it a whirl first
EA> before  attempting to use it on a box they seem so protective of.

EA> Anyway, I'm just stating that running -current is for testing and
EA> developing, not really for production - at least I'm fairly certain.

There's the magic keyword again: testing! Who should do it if not guys
like him? If vinum had crossed my way before, I'd try to help - sorry.

--
Best regards,
 Max                            mailto:max_at_love2party.net