Re: requesting vinum help

From: Joel M. Baldwin <qumqats_at_outel.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:44:25 -0800
Geeze!  Not only aren't there any emails, but I've started a full blown thread!

--On Tuesday, November 25, 2003 10:48 AM -0600 Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com> wrote:

> This isn't necessarily directed at you - I'm just using this email as a footstep to send this general comment -
>
> I am kind of under the assumption that -current is more of a test bed, and anything can
> happen at any time, which is why it's bad to run -current on a machine you care deeply
> about (at least its data).  I think I've seen at least 5 mails in the past few weeks about
> people getting jammed into a corner with (what sounds like) production type boxes, or at
> least important boxes (or they wouldn't need a vinum?).. It seems odd to me that they
> wouldn't give it a whirl first before attempting to use it on a box they seem so protective of.
>
> Anyway, I'm just stating that running -current is for testing and developing, not really
> for production - at least I'm fairly certain.

Please wrap your messages rather than typing your entire message in one LONG line.

How can you test if you don't use?  I'm not in 'production', I'm just running a box at home
and I'm sure that there are lots of others doing the same.  I've been running -current
for something like 5 years, have rarely had any major problems, and have on occasion reported
my problems to the list.  That's what it's all about.

The worst you could say is that I should have been more careful and that I should read
-current ( which I archive but don't read because there's rarely anything of interest
in the list ( with the occasional notable exception like now ) )

--On Wednesday, November 26, 2003 10:25 AM +1030 Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 25 November 2003 at 10:48:44 -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>> I am kind of under the assumption that -current is more of a test bed,
>> and anything can happen at any time, which is why it's bad to run
>> -current on a machine you care deeply about (at least its data).
>
> Correct.  More to the point, though, it requires you to rely more on
> yourself.  At the very least, this means RTFM, which in this case
> includes a number of things to submit if you have problems.  It's at
> the end of vinum(4) or at
> http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html.

Does someone answer email at grog_at_lemis.com?  I never received a response when I
sent a query there and that's the email in the above URL.

I've rtfm and I don't find it very useful in explaining why what should be
a good vinum volume is giving me a 'fsck: Could not determine filesystem type'.
A also don't know what operations would cause data damage so I'm asking for
assistance rather than running around in the dark.

--On Wednesday, November 26, 2003 1:05 AM +0100 Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net> wrote:

> The not so good point about the original request is that he is looking
> for private assistance, while the problem and - even more - the
> solution of it might be very interesting to all of us (more than much
> of the other ongoing threads, for sure).

I was trying to use some restraint and not rant and rave in public like
I wanted to do.  I'm rather miffed that nothing appeared in UPDATING.
Rather than an unproductive public RANT I thought I'd ask for private assistance.
I can post a summary afterwards if you like, or even better write a better
FAQ/tutorial on vinum.