Re: How to fix this in 5.1-REL??

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:38:31 -0600
On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:57:10AM -0800 I heard the voice of
Kevin Oberman, and lo! it spake thus:

> While UPDATING contain details on updating a system, the Makefile in
> /usr/src (actually Makefile.inc1) contains a target of 'world' and,
> through V3 of FreeBSD, this was considered the appropriate target for
> re-compiling sources.
>
> In the days of V4, a new methodology for updating that was far less
> prone to failure that would leave a system unusable was developed with
> two new targets, 'buildworld' and 'installworld'.

I think you're a wee bit off on dates there...

src/Makefile:
revision 1.109.2.9
date: 1997/08/05 03:46:23;  author: asami;  state: Exp;  lines: +192 -91
This patch splits "world" into two parts, "buildworld" and
"installworld", which can be run together or separately (or even on
different machines).  The "buildworld" target does not install
anything outside /usr/obj; you still need to be root to run it (the
default install rules want to set the ownership, etc.), but it's now
possible to upgrade a bunch of -stable machines by running "make
buildworld" on a 2.1.5 NFS server and then running "make installworld"
on each of the clients, while not compromising the stability of the
server at all.

Reviewed by:    too many many people to list here, special thanks to bde

1.109.2.9 was between 2.2.2 and 2.2.5.  It was committed in parallel to
HEAD at the same time (1.133).  That's all over a year before 3 became
-STABLE.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net