Re: 5.2-BETA and related ports issues

From: Andreas Klemm <andreas_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:43:03 +0100
On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 11:31:34AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>
> > I have a better idea, then we perhaps need something like a wrapper
> > script that is part of the FreeBSD basic system under /etc/rc.d that
> > checks for the start script under $LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d and starts it very
> > early.
>
> Hmm.  I talked with Gordon about this issue some last night, but he
> pointed out a snag: most installs of FreeBSD place /usr on a separate
> partition from /.  The rcNG ordering decision is made before /usr is
> mounted, as /usr is mounted as part of the pieces kicked off by rc.d.  So
> it would be a fairly large departure from the current implementation of
> the rcNG code to reevaluate the ordering once more directories were
> available in which to find scripts to run.  Not that it's not doable, but
> we need to think about it carefully (and, unfortunately, it's not as easy
> as simply adding /usr/local/etc/rc.d to the list..)  Having wrapper
> scripts in /etc/rc.d can work, but it means we don't get the full benefits
> of ordering, and that any ordering information has to be in the wrapper,
> not in the bit installed by the port in /usr/local...

Sh** I should have read your mail earlier, b4 writing a f'up ...

Its completely true. On FreeBSD servers I have / and /usr always on a
separate partition.

Only Solaris I install differently, to have / and /usr on one partition,
since Solaris has only less if not soon _none_ statically linked programs
for system maintenance/recovery (if being stuck in single user).

But well ... I think I could suggest a good workaround for this.

What about having these wrapper scripts in /etc/rc.d calling another
(kind of) subscript, with the only goal to get /usr/local mounted ?

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/