Re: 5.2-BETA and related ports issues

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 11:31:34 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> I have a better idea, then we perhaps need something like a wrapper
> script that is part of the FreeBSD basic system under /etc/rc.d that
> checks for the start script under $LOCALBASE/etc/rc.d and starts it very
> early.

Hmm.  I talked with Gordon about this issue some last night, but he
pointed out a snag: most installs of FreeBSD place /usr on a separate
partition from /.  The rcNG ordering decision is made before /usr is
mounted, as /usr is mounted as part of the pieces kicked off by rc.d.  So
it would be a fairly large departure from the current implementation of
the rcNG code to reevaluate the ordering once more directories were
available in which to find scripts to run.  Not that it's not doable, but
we need to think about it carefully (and, unfortunately, it's not as easy
as simply adding /usr/local/etc/rc.d to the list..)  Having wrapper
scripts in /etc/rc.d can work, but it means we don't get the full benefits
of ordering, and that any ordering information has to be in the wrapper,
not in the bit installed by the port in /usr/local...

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research