Re: Western Digital WD360GD SATA disk on -CURRENT

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_marcuscom.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:55:44 -0500
On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 03:52, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > I agree.  I really needed to be up and running ASAP, so I opted for the
> > new controller.  Søren, if you're listening, and need an SiI controller
> > for testing, you're free to have mine.  Else, I can keep it and test it
> > as needed (I can put a test drive on it).
>
> I have both the old one with the errata and the new one without so
> thanks for the offer but it might be betterused somewhere else.

As soon as my RMA drive arrives, I can do more testing.  What would be
beneficial?  Backing down the drivers as I had planned, or is there
something better I can do to help?

> > I have a basic time line.  Everything worked fine until I upgraded on
> > November 18 at 02:23 UTC.  I had a 160 GB Seagate SATA drive running on
> > the same chipset for about a month before that.  As soon as I rebooted
> > on the new kernel, everything went south.  Until Søren told me about the
> > buggy chipset, I was going to back my ATA drivers back to November 11,
> > 2003 00:00 UTC, and see if that helped.  That was right before a big
> > change went into the driver.
>
> I dont recall doing any major changes in that timeline, what exact
> large changes are you talking about ??

By "large change," I mean a change that affected a few files, that
happened before things went south.  According to the CVS log:

"Centralise mode setting. Instead of doing it in all subdrivers, do
it in ata-all.c where it belongs."

If this still failed, I was going to keep working back until I found
exactly where things started to fail.

Joe