Re: HEADS UP: "can't find kernel source tree" error when building the kernel.

From: Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_xcllnt.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:16:41 -0700
On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:02:19PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > How are you building the kernel?   Are you using `make buildworld' first
> > and then `make buildkernel' (or `make kernel')?
> >
> Maybe now it will be more obvious why I thought that upgrade_checks
> should always be done, for all standard src/Makefile targets.

It has already been obvious why you thought upgrade_checks should
always be done. The obviousness of your thoughts says nothing about
the correctness or sensibility of your thoughts, though. You still
fail to see that buildkernel is not always the way people build
kernels and buildworld not a target that's made on a daily basis.
You therefore continue to break the development environment for a
significant portion of the -current developers by failing to use
common sense and hanging on to obvious and obviously flawed points
of view.

To be less vague about this: your change to kmod.mk was not made
after giving a dependent change, i.e. the fix to make(1), sufficient
time to take effect by the natural course of events. Instead you
made a change that takes effect immediately right after making a
change that only takes effect after an install and then attribute
breakages to other causes then your own actions. I consider that
a severe lack of good judgement.

The "Marcel approved" way of doing this would be:

1. fix make(1),
2. Wait a month (or so) or until after the next release, whichever
   comes first,
3. Change kmod.mk.

If something else needs to be fixed that depends on changing kmod.mk
so that you don't have the time to let nature do it's thing, you
send a HEADS UP to tell people that they need to build and install
make(1) to restore universal balance.

Under no circumstances are you to break the development environment
gratuitously and turn it into a political event that allows you to
draw attention (obviously) to your (obvious) thoughts.

END OF LINE
	-- Master Control, TRON

--
 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel_at_xcllnt.net