Re: HEADS UP: APM users on -current!

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:23:58 -0700
> Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:37:15 -0700
> From: Peter Wemm <peter_at_wemm.org>
>
> "Kevin Oberman" wrote:
> > > Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 22:01:07 -0700
> > > From: Peter Wemm <peter_at_wemm.org>
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
> > >
> > > I've made a commit that has been reported as breaking APM for some people.
> > > I'll be following this up, so could folks please report here if things
> > > break?  (and feel free to say so if you find the problem :-).  It would
> > > also be interesting to know that things are ok for a few people too.
> > >
> > > If you're stuck (hang or reset on boot), take out apm for the time being.
> > > Yes, I know that isn't a solution, but please bear with me.
> >
> > No hangs or resets on my ThinkPad T30. It just crashes. :-(
>
> I found it.. please try with revision 1.177 of locore.s..
>
> peter       2003/10/03 23:30:56 PDT

Peter,

That did the trick. It's not pretty, but it works. I'm amazed this
this problem was not reported more frequently, not just because of you
update, but the earlier discussion of the value of DISABLE_PSE on many
systems (including mine).

Thanks! I was afraid that this was such a rare problem that the
changes might go in and my laptop would have the OS frozen for a very
long time.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)