Re: cannot create partition entries for /dev/ad3

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:29:30 +0930
On Tuesday 07 October 2003 18:01, ecsd wrote:
> I have a WintTV card that should be /dev/bktr0. I have tried using "devfs"
> to remedy this:
>
> host[157] # fxtv
> open("/dev/bktr0") failed: No such file or directory
>
> but I cannot see what to do, precisely and in order, to make the device
> exist.

I think you have a pretty fundamental misconception about /dev and devfs.

Makeing devices in /dev doesn't create those devices, or install their
drivers.

In reality you need both the /dev entry AND the driver to be able to access a
device. What devfs does is just make it so that you don't have to bother
changing /dev to reflect newely loaded drivers - the drivers tell devfs to
create the device nodes to reflect what hardware they have actually found.

> I can't tell if use of devfs makes permanent changes to a system definition
> file so that changes are retained across reboots. I don't see a reference
> to a system file I would modify to make devices exist. The man page for
> devfs does not provide an example of creating a device - or if it does, it
> doesn't explain what /other/ commands are needed in tandem to make the
> device usable (extant.) If devfs will create devices to correspond to
> devices defined in the kernel config file, then where is the bktr device?

You don't WANT to create device nodes in devfs, that's like the whole [user
visible] point!

kldload bktr might help you out.

If you have it, or it's in the kernel read dmesg, if THAT doesn't help and the
device used to work, email a list, or the device maintainer.

The only reason most people will ever touch /dev is to either make devices
(hence no longer necessary with devfs), or change permissions. The later is
more difficult with devfs, but IMHO the tradeoff is worthwhile.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5