Re: Atmel AT76C503 USB 802.11b device driver

From: Stuart Walsh <stu_at_ipng.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:49:34 +0100
On Wed Oct 08, 05:27P +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 03:59:40AM +0100, Stuart Walsh wrote:
> > Aww crap, my apologies for the duplicate email.. sendmail appears to be
> > on steroids or something.
>
> The messages are sumited twice by your mailclient - it's not the MTAs
> fault.
> See that there are several minutes between them and that they have
> different message-ids.

They were, yes.  But once when the sendmail daemon wasn't running.  I
checked the mail queue before i sent it again and it wasn't there.
Perhaps sendmail stores failed mail somewhere I'm not familiar with.
EUSERERROR would seem to apply..
Anyway, I finally got around to installing exim and everyone is happy.

> > Anyway.. just an update to the installation instructions.  Warner kindly
> > committed the usbdevs portion of the driver, so if you have a cvsup from
> > yesterday or newer, you don't need to apply atwi.diff.
>
> Sounds interesting.
> Is this just to configure a WLAN-Ethernet bridge, or can you transmit
> network data over USB?

It's treated like any other network device.  Raw network data is sent
and received over the USB transfer pipes and dealt with using mbufs in
the normal way.  The main difference is that you can only submit one
packet at a time, so there is effectively no hardware queue/ring.  The
wireless part seems to be a cross between 'ath' devices and 'wi'
devices.  WEP is done in hardware, as is scanning.  Scan results are
processed in software.

Stuart