Re: ipnat memory leak?

From: Kenneth Culver <culverk_at_sweetdreamsracing.biz>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:07:03 -0400
Quoting Vector <freebsd_at_itpsg.com>:

> Several reasons:
>
> Having it in the kernel improves performance

It also avoids at least 2 context switches per packet... one when the packet
goes into natd and one when it goes back to the kernel.

> natd chokes on the latest windoze worms and I have implemented some DoS
> prevention/worm protection in ipnat but I'm seeing this memory leak without
> my improvements there at all.
>
> If it's in the kernel, ipnat is kept under control when natd would normally
> be sucking the CPU dry and preventing things like remote logins, very
> slugish updates, etc...
>
> and others I don't particularly want to go into at the moment.
>
> vec

Not to mention the syntax for doing things like stateful firewalling is much
more sane, and the fact that you can view the firewall state-table in near
real-time using ipfstat -t (top style viewing).

Ken