Re: Nvidia driver

From: Mike Hunter <mhunter_at_ack.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:21:16 -0700
On Oct 09, "Justin Smith" wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 19:53, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Justin Smith wrote:
>
> > If you hook up a serial console, are there any messages that get printed
> > out?
>
> Unfortunately, I have no way of doing this on the machine that has the
> nvidia card.
>
> I think the "random" crashes are actually the result of running screen
> savers that use OpenGL. The random crashes always happen when I leave
> the machine alone for a while. When I come back to it, it has rebooted.

I've also had bad experiences running

xlock -mode random +fullrandom

...one of them didn't end up locking the screen, and left X in a
semi-crashed state, but did not cause a reboot for me.

There's a bunch of stuff in the nvidia-driver documentation about linux
compat issues regarding multi-threading and openGL, IIRC.

So it seems like the main reason to run the nvidia binary driver, openGL,
is suspect.  Which leaves us with "seeing the nvidia splash-spam" as our
only reason for running it, along with driving external monitors on Dell
D800's :)

Mike