Re: More ULE bugs fixed.

From: Eirik Oeverby <ltning_at_anduin.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:16:03 +0200
Jeff Roberson wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Eirik Oeverby wrote:
>

>>Eirik Oeverby wrote:

>>>Hi..
>>>Just tested, so far it seems good. System CPU load is floored (near 0),
>>>system is very responsive, no mouse sluggishness or random
>>>mouse/keyboard input.
>>>Doing a make -j 20 buildworld now (on my 1ghz p3 thinkpad ;), and
>>>running some SQLServer stuff in VMWare. We'll see how it fares.
>>
>>Hi, just a followup message.
>>I'm now running the buildworld mentioned above, and the system is pretty
>>much unusable. It exhibits the same symptoms as I have mentioned before,
>>mouse jumpiness, bogus mouse input (movement, clicks), and the system is
>>generally very jerky and unresponsive. This is particularily evident
>>when doing things like webpage loading/browsing/rendering, but it's
>>noticeable all the time, no matter what I am doing. As an example, the
>>last sentence I wote without seeing a single character on screen before
>>I was finsihed writing it, and it appeared with a lot more typos than I
>>usually make ;)
>>
>>I'm running *without* invariants and witness right now, i.e. a kernel
>>100% equal to the SCHED_4BSD kernel.
>

> Can you confirm the revision of your sys/kern/sched_ule.c file?  How does
> SCHED_4BSD respond in this same test?

Yes I can. From file:
__FBSDID("$FreeBSD: src/sys/kern/sched_ule.c,v 1.59 2003/10/15 07:47:06
jeff Exp $");
I am running SCHED_4BSD now, with a make -j 20 buildworld running, and I
do not experience any of the problems. Keyboard and mouse input is
smooth, and though apps run slightly slower due to the massive load on
the system, there is none of the jerkiness I have seen before.

Anything else I can do to help?

/Eirik