Re: More ULE bugs fixed.

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:32:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Eirik Oeverby wrote:

> Jeff Roberson wrote:

> >>Hi, just a followup message.
> >>I'm now running the buildworld mentioned above, and the system is pretty
> >>much unusable. It exhibits the same symptoms as I have mentioned before,
> >>mouse jumpiness, bogus mouse input (movement, clicks), and the system is
> >>generally very jerky and unresponsive. This is particularily evident
> >>when doing things like webpage loading/browsing/rendering, but it's
> >>noticeable all the time, no matter what I am doing. As an example, the
> >>last sentence I wote without seeing a single character on screen before
> >>I was finsihed writing it, and it appeared with a lot more typos than I
> >>usually make ;)
> >>
> >>I'm running *without* invariants and witness right now, i.e. a kernel
> >>100% equal to the SCHED_4BSD kernel.
> >

> > Can you confirm the revision of your sys/kern/sched_ule.c file?  How does
> > SCHED_4BSD respond in this same test?
>
> Yes I can. From file:
> __FBSDID("$FreeBSD: src/sys/kern/sched_ule.c,v 1.59 2003/10/15 07:47:06
> jeff Exp $");
> I am running SCHED_4BSD now, with a make -j 20 buildworld running, and I
> do not experience any of the problems. Keyboard and mouse input is
> smooth, and though apps run slightly slower due to the massive load on
> the system, there is none of the jerkiness I have seen before.
>
> Anything else I can do to help?

Yup, try again. :-)  I found another bug and tuned some parameters of the
scheduler.  The bug was introduced after I did my paper for BSDCon and so
I never ran into it when I was doing serious stress testing.

Hopefully this will be a huge improvement.  I did a make -j16 buildworld
and used mozilla while in kde2.  It was fine unless I tried to scroll
around rapidly in a page full of several megabyte images for many minutes.