Re: Help saving my system

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon_at_apollo.backplane.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:01:03 -0700 (PDT)
:
:On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Jason Dictos wrote:
:
:> 1. Had FreeBSD 5.1 system running.
:> 2. Did a cvsup get of stable (that's right, stable, so 4.9)
:> 3. Compiled make buildworld, then did a make build world, and re-compiled
:> with generic kernel
:> 4. Booted into a system which could not mount the file system (expected
:> since its 4.9)
:>
:> So now I am trying to save the system and here's where I've gotten to:
:>
:> 1. Booted disc 2 of 5.1 cd into "fixme" mode.
:> 2. Mounted live cdrom filesystem and then mounted my root drive to /mnt
:> 3. Did a chroot to /mnt so that I would emulate my live system environment
:> 4. Re-did a cvsup of the branch current.
:> 5. Ran make buildworld from /usr/src
:
:At this point, I'd probably do a "binary upgrade" install of 5.1 to make
:sure you have known-good binaries.  I'd then boot to single-user mode and
:run find on /bin, /sbin, /lib, /usr/lib, /usr/sbin, et al, and make sure
:that there are no 4.x binaries left.  If possible :-).
:
:Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
:robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories

    I would boot with the 5.1 live CD and backup all the data you want to
    save somewhere (like to another machine), then I would reinstall the
    system from scratch with the release you intend to run, wiping the disks
    completely.  Then restore the data you wanted to keep from whereever you
    saved it.

    If you have a lot of data and a reasonably fast network link and no
    place to temporarily backup your data too while reinstalling, I can
    provide you with a temporary account with lots of disk space for a few
    days.  EMail me privately if you need the temporary account.

						-Matt