Re: USB Keyboard questions

From: Peter <freebsd_at_psam.se>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:12:53 +0200
Ok I will try and get the information down :)

from the dmesg
uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xc400-0xc41f irq 10 at device
16.0 on pci0
usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ukbd0: Logitech USB Receiver, rev 1.10/17.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
kbd0 at ukbd0
ums0: Logitech USB Receiver, rev 1.10/17.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: 7 buttons and Z dir.
uhub1: Texas Instruments TUSB2046 hub, class 9/0, rev 1.10/1.25, addr
3
uhub1: 4 ports with 4 removable, bus powered
ugen0: Logitech Camera, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 4
ugen1: vendor 0x0f4d product 0x1000, rev 1.10/4.01, addr 5
uhci1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xc800-0xc81f irq 11 at device
16.1 on pci0
usb1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci1
usb1: USB revision 1.0
uhub2: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhci2: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xcc00-0xcc1f irq 7 at device
16.2 on pci0
usb2: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci2
usb2: USB revision 1.0
uhub3: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
>From what I can see the USB used is UHCI, doesnt say in the manual
what they use.

When I run WinXP It doesnt matter where I plug in the keyboard. In the
USB1, USB2 or with the USB->PS/2 convert in the PS/2 port there are no
glitches at all. It types like I do. So no added letters in the text
im writing.

When I run FreeBSD 4.8 I can install it using the keyboard in the USB
port, this I cant do with FreeBSD 5.1.
When I write text in FreeBSD * when pluged into the USB* ports I get
added letters like "this should be the text" "thisi shohuld be the
textx" (just example). How the letters are added seems random but it
happens more often the faster I type.

When I run with the USB->PS/2 Converter to plug the keyboard into the
PS/2 Port it works without any problems at all in both WinXP and
FreeBSD 5.1. I can install FreeBSD 5.1 and can type without any
problem.

So from my point of view as a user I can see three problems.
A) the usb support on my motherboard is bad to worse
B) something isnīt right in FreeBSDs USB support.
C) A and B in combination.

Or im totaly wrong :) and that happens from time to time.

I hope this info helps.

Peter