Re: warnings while kernel build

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:59:11 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Vladimir B. Grebenschikov wrote:

> I am trying to compile -CURRENT code on RELENG_4 machine, with native
> RELENG_4 gcc:
>
> % gcc -v
> Using builtin specs.
> gcc version 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]
> % which gcc
> /usr/bin/gcc

hrm....

> > > /ext/current/src# make -j8 buildkernel
> > > /ext/current/src/sys/kern/kern_descrip.c:1914: warning: inlining failed
> > > in call to `_fgetvp'
> >
> > > makeoptions	CONF_CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=pentiumpro"
> >
> > This is an unsupported option.  Do not compile the kernel with any
> > optimization beyond -O.  This might be the other reason why you are
> > getting these inlining warnings.
>
> Ok, But it works for me from 5.0 branching (or about).

Optimization levels beyond -O are known to generate incorrect code.  You
will end up with an unbootable or, worse, an incorrect kernel as a result.

If you are having compile problems with anything but -O, revert to -O.  If
you are still having problems, wthen we'll talk.

Youre _are_ following the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING on how to
upgrade from -STABLE to -CURRENT, right?