Re: FreeBSD-Current and XFree86

From: James Tanis <jtanis_at_charter.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:00:38 -0400
         Attempted this, first did a deinstall of XFree86-Server and then
built/installed XFree86-Server-snap. It built and installed perfectly fine,
from what I can see it runs fine too.. but I get the same error. You
weren't wrong, in the log once of the supported cards listed is the ATI
Radeon 9800 NH (AGP), although I have no idea what the NH stands for. The
only problem is I'm getting the same exact error I was previously..

 From the log file:
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
(EE) No devices detected.

         I did not attempt any different settings from the norm at this
time since, if my memory serves me right this is the same exact error I was
getting before and nothing I tried seemed to fix it. Here is the device
section as it is now for my radeon 9800, these are the same settings that I
used to use and worked perfectly fine with my radeon 7000, although I have
tried a config without the extra options it did not seems to help nor is
their any reason that I can think of that these options would not work with
the 9800.

Section "Device"
     Identifier  "Radeon 9800"
     Driver      "radeon"
     #VideoRam    131072
     # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
     Option      "AGPMode"               "4"
     Option      "AGPFastWrite"  "1"
     Option      "EnablePageFlip"        "1"
EndSection

         My problems seem to stem from the fact that the driver has no idea
what to do with BusID PCI 1:0:1 which may or may not be the actual device
that I want to be using.. I have no idea what to do about it though. This
is a plain vanilla ATI Radeon 9800 (AGP) not a pro or some other
upgraded/downgraded version.. I would think this would be supported by the
driver.
Thanks again for any input, James.