Flash Plugin report

From: Roberto de Iriarte <rdeiriar_at_spock.cl>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:40:24 -0300
After a very lenghy hiatus running Linux on my desktop, i decided to
install FreeBSD after my HD died. (I had to try the new Flash Plugin
Wrapper and the new Patchlevel for native Java2 1.4.1)

Sofar, everything is running excellently, but i noticed a strange bug
(feature?) that i have been unable to reproduce.

a) Problem

Right upon  installing mozilla 1.5 from ports, i installed
flashpluginwrapper-20031006, and found out that mozilla would fail to
exit eating up CPU as if stuck in an infinite loop (Usage per top went
up into high 90%'s) if the plugin was triggered (by viewing a flash movie)
The same result was observed using the native java plugin (J2SE 1.4.1
patchlevel 4 from ports)

I was running everything with userspace threads as per default
(libc_r.so) and had linux.ko and linprocfs.ko loaded as modules.

I decided to give libkse a try so i modified libmap.conf, and rebooted
the system for good measure and mozilla works perfectly. (And
responsivenes is excellent, and cpu usage much reduced, btw)

b) Problem II
Even reversing the changes i've been unable to reproduce the bug to
allow further investigation!

c) Ignorance from my part
Is linux.ko necessary to run flashpluginwrapper ? I forgot to enable it
in rc.conf and it seems to run equally well !?

I'm running Current as of yesterday, with the GENERIC kernel

[netvista /home/roberto] % uname -a
FreeBSD netvista.spock.cl 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #0: Thu Oct 23
01:45:10 CLST 2003
root_at_netvista.spock.cl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Thanks to everybody for the excellent efforts
Regards
Roberto