Re: Nforce 2 Audio driver

From: Maxim M. Kazachek <stranger_at_sberbank.sibnet.ru>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:13:21 +0600 (NOVT)
>hi andrew,
>           My name is rubin. i read your reply at nvidia.ko freezes system
>in -current. you seem to know alot about computer and i was wondering if you
>could help me. I have a abit nf7 mobo with the nforce2 MCP southbridge.
>            The nf7 has an APU(Audio processing unit); this is evident when
>running the nvidia drivers and hence producing impressive 2.1 sounds ( APU
>provides features like 256 voice, 64 3d voice, DX8 submixer and bla bla bla
>). Both the nf7 and nf7-S (MCP-T southbridge) have the realtek DAC( Digital
>Anolog Converter). This changes the digital signals from the APU to anolog
>signals used by the speakers.
>             Unfortunately they have disabled the nForce MCP Audio
>Processing Unit (Dolby Digital) driver on the mobo and this is only enabled
>on the nf7-s mobos running MCP-T. As a result i only get 2 channel sound.
>now if i'd know about this i wouldn't have bought it, but even the damn abit
>nf7 box had the word Soundstorm on it. I just want 6 channel audio that
>works all the time with my games and music(realtek drivers don't have EAX
>and doesn't give 6 channel with winamp). I'm a student an on a very tight
>budget. Could you pls teach me to hack the Nvidia unified audio drivers so i
>can get it to install the MCP-T Audio Processing Unit (Dolby Digital) driver
>and hence get 6 channel audio. If that won't work could you tell me what i
>need to do to get 6 channel audio without resorting to realtek drivers.
>Please i'm really disappointed that abit and nvidia aren't helping and i
>invested alot of money on decent speakers. Please help.

	You do not have SoundStorm technology on your motherboard. NF7-S uses
MCP-T, while NF7 and NF7-M (with integrated video) uses MCP, which, in
oppose to MCP-T have no interface to second network card (based on 3COM's
chip), have no IEEE-1394A (aka Firewire) and have no SoundStorm
Technology. Realtek's ALC650, that is used on that motherboards is capable
to switch to 6 channel mode in Windows driver... Have no any idea how to
do that in FreeBSD.

   Sincerely, Maxim M. Kazachek
       mailto:stranger_at_sberbank.sibnet.ru
       mailto:stranger_at_fpm.ami.nstu.ru