Re: OpenLDAP/nss_ldap/pam_ldap

From: Bill Moran <wmoran_at_potentialtech.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:30:51 -0500
Steve Lee wrote:
> Sorry for my ignorance, i am new to FreeBSD.  i have tried to use it
> in the past ( 2years ago ) but decided to wait to till the nss_ldap
> support was added for nsswitch so i can use openldap.  Now, when you
> say rebuild, how would i rebuild FreeBSD dynamically, or are you saying
> to rebuild the application that were statically linked dynamically ?
> I just checked the FreeBSD site and do not see any release 5.2

You might do best to sit back and wait a little while and try again.
5.2 is not available yet.  I don't know what the current schedule is,
exactly, but I'm guessing 3 months or so in the future.

To the get the dynamic root capability that Antoine spoke of, you'll
need to update your 5.1 FreeBSD to the latest development sources, which
can be rather dicey (especially if you're new to FreeBSD).  If you want
to try it, the docs are here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

If you decide to try upgrading to -CURRENT to try this feature out,
don't hesitate to ask this (or the questions_at_freebsd.org) list if you
have problems, we'll help.

After you do the cvsup, but before doing the make steps, you'll need
to create a custom /etc/make.conf to tell FreeBSD to build a dynamic
root.
Just create the file /etc/make.conf and put the line
"WITH_DYNAMICROOT=true" in it (you can also add other build options
to /etc/make.conf per the docs).  Then run the make steps in the
documentation.

Hope this helps.

--
Bill Moran