Re: Forward: HEADS UP! Default value of ip6_v6only changed

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:07:09 +0100
Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> If we ship with a default of v6only off, then people will
> not fix software to open two sockets.  This in turn means that
> turning v6only on will break this software.

I find the notion of making people "fix" their software to not rely on
RFC-defined behaviour problematic. I'm actually glad to see NetBSD reversed
their unfortunate decision regarding the default (and OpenBSD's stunt of not
even providing a knob is very evil indeed).

> I understand that itojun would like to see this aspect of RFC2553
> amended.  I don't know what the prospects of this happening are on
> the IETF level.

Not too bad, IMHO. The IETF really is the place for this decision to be made
and the knob should reflect current standards. Flipping the default when a
revised RFC is published would be the right thing to do.

--
    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org