Re: /lib symlinks problem?

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 02:39:09 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > I posted one approach to this today... touch a file right before you
> > start installworld, then consider anything not newer than that file a
> > candidate for disposal. There is currently something weird going on in
> > /usr/lib though... a lot of the files don't have newer dates, I haven't
> > tracked down why yet.
> >
> This is because static libraries are installed with -C.  The reasoning
> was like this:
>
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 02:15:56PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > > Um why, what's so special about them?
> >
> > They appear in dependency lists.  This was discussed on -arch.

Can you fill in a little more detail here? I really prefer the old
behavior, not using -C.

> This also will not work for anything that has not changed and is
> installed with -C, that is includes,

I posted my script to -current just today. I 'mv include include-old' to
handle this. I also blow away /usr/share/man, since creating it from
scratch is just as easy as trying to cleanse it.

> rtld-elf, and some parts of /sys/boot.

I haven't touched /boot yet, I'm not that brave. :) There are a couple
other things that my script doesn't handle just on the basis of "newer
than," but as a proof of concept it's quite functional.

Doug