Re: automated clean up of /usr/lib because of /lib

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:19:57 +0200
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:02:21 -0700 (PDT)
Doug Barton <DougB_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> There was a discussion of this recently, and the conclusion was more or
> less that doing this in an automated fashion is frought with danger,
> since you don't know for sure what else besides system components the
> user has put in the various directories.
>
> I've been using the following combination of a bash function (that could
> just as easily be its own script) and a script I call
> after_installworld.

[script which does the right thing]

> This combination keeps things squeaky clean for me.

Yes, it does it for you (and for everyone else who does the right
thing), but I've seen abuse of your system directories to many times, so
this would perhaps screw some of our users. So I don't think we should
add something like you do or something like David does into
installworld.

My snipped just looks if there are libs in /usr/lib which also are in
/lib and removes them from /usr/lib. That's one specific thing we know
we have to do now. I don't insist of adding it to installworld, but we
should at least add something into UPDATING which tells the user to
clean up his /usr/lib after we added /lib (and my snipped automates
this).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net