Syncer failure after fsck on all partitions

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:38:25 -0700
This is really sort of two problems, but I'll focus on the primary
concern here and maybe the more basic (but less significant) problem
will get addressed at some point. (Or I'll PR it.)

I have noticed that my stable system never seems to leave the
filesystems clean after a crash on CURRENT. I get a message that
background FSCK is starting in 60 seconds, but I see no indication
that it is ever run. All partitions are UFS and have soft-update.

After I notice that re-boots are reporting all ufs partitions as
unclean, I shut down and boot standalone. I then do "fsck -y" on all
partitions. Many simply mark the partition clean with no fixes while
others do find the typical problems and fix them.

Finally I do a reboot. No partition has ever been mounted except root
which is read-only. Syncer reports 1 or more buffers remain and
reports this until it gives up.

After the reboot, all partitions mount cleanly and all seems normal.

I really feel uncomfortable about this and can't understand why the
syncer should have any buffers to handle when no partition has been
mounted RW. Do I need to worry?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)