Re: inetd unknown rpc/udp or rpc/tcp

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:33:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Nick H. - Network Operations wrote:

> Recently I have been trying to get inetd to start on a server of mine and it
> prints the following error in dmesg:
>
> Sep  2 23:09:18 iso inetd[703]: unknown rpc/udp or rpc/tcp

Its trying to look up a service called "rpc" in /etc/services and not
finding it.

On my -stable box there is one such set of ports:

courier         530/tcp    rpc
courier         530/udp    rpc

Look for "rpc\." in your inetd.conf to find the various things that use
this port.

> There is nothing but ftp turned on in the inetd.conf (turn ftp off, same
> error).  I have tried google, yet it's not returning anything worthwhile.
> (groups, /bsd and /linux)  If anyone has had this issue and knows of a
> workaround, I'd love to hear about it.  It's running a recent RELENG_5_1
> world/kernel and there's nothing really out of place anywhere else.  Im
> going to try to build/install world one more time on this box and see what
> happens, but Im not expecting any changes.

You might just have a broken inetd.conf line that is (mis)interpreting.
Also make sure its using the inetd.conf you think it is :)