config(8) KERNEL setting

From: John Birrell <jb_at_cimlogic.com.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:16:32 +1000
In a RELENG_4 kernel build, I'm accustomed to setting 'config foo' in
a kernel configuration file and ending up with a kernel called 'foo'.

In current, kern.pre.mk contains:

KERNEL_KO?=	kernel
KERNEL?=	kernel
KODIR?=		/boot/${KERNEL}

however kern.post.mk only uses KERNEL_KO, so even though config(8) has
set KERNEL for me, that name only gets used for the boot directory.
There doesn't seem to be any way of getting KERNEL_KO set from the
kernel config file.

It would make more sense to me if kern.pre.mk contained this:

KERNEL?=	kernel
KERNEL_KO?=	${KERNEL}
KODIR?=		/boot/${KERNEL}

Comments?