Re: config(8) KERNEL setting

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 21:22:09 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, John Birrell wrote:

> however kern.post.mk only uses KERNEL_KO, so even though config(8) has
> set KERNEL for me, that name only gets used for the boot directory.
> There doesn't seem to be any way of getting KERNEL_KO set from the
> kernel config file.

If you change the name of the kernel binary itself, loader won't be able
to find it.  By renaming the /boot directory it goes into it is Doing the
Right Thing.

In 5.X, the "kernel" is the core kernel binary and the modules built with
it.  All of it goes into the same directory.  The /modules directory is
unused and should be deleted. When you specify a kernel to load in loader,
you ask for the /boot/foo directory name ("load foo") and loader does the
rest.