Re: Text file busy

From: Scott M. Likens <damm_at_fpsn.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 08:02:50 -0700
On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 07:44, Paul Richards wrote:
> Overwriting a file that's currently executing results in a "Text file
> busy" error.
>
> When did this start happening?
>
> This was something that was fixed way back on FreeBSD but it seems to be
> a problem again.
>
> Paul.

this "feature" has always existed in FreeBSD for as long as I remember.

Of course there are ways to bypass this "feature" but it's there for
your protection.  You shouldn't be upgrading a program that's in
resident memory.  That's like trying to reinstall X while running in X.
You're just asking for problems.

turnoff postfix, install the new version and be happy.

Every single 'flavor' of Unix/Unices has always had this feature.  I've
seen it on HP-UX box's on Solaris Servers, Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
FreeBSD.  Maybe you wern't paying attention but, that is one of those
things I think should fall under duh, i shouldn't do that it might make
things crash hard.

Scott.
--
"I think we ought to be out there doing what we do best - making large
holes in other people's countries." - George Carlin