Re: Text file busy

From: Paul Richards <paul_at_inty.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:03:40 +0100
On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 19:20, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> Depends on how you're installing the binary.  It has always been
> safe to do either of the following:
>    * Rename the current executable and then install the new one.
>    * Unlink the current executable and then install the new one.
> Many tools that claim to "overwrite" really do the latter, which
> causes a certain amount of understandable confusion.  (I'm pretty
> sure "install" does unlink/copy by default and will do rename/copy
> if you specify -b.)

I thought I remembered a discussion from the very early days where a
solution was implemented to copy the pages if a file was overwritten
into memory or swap but I can find no record of that now other than a
suggestion in a thread that Solaris might do this.

I think I'm confusing the above impression with an actual problem that
was fixed where you'd still get the error even though the program had
stopped executing.

Paul.

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)