partition C doesn't start at 0!

From: Jason C. Wells <jcw_at_highperformance.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 22:06:58 -0700 (PDT)
I recently did an install of 5.1R.  I sliced the disk into three slices.
A 128 MB slice for ad0s1 on /, a 64MB slice for as0s2 on an alternate /,
and the remainder for ad0s3 for /var and /usr.  So I have ad0s1,s2, and
s3.

I can boot from ad0s1.  I am still monkeying around with the ad0s2 slice.
In the process of trying to get ad0s2 to boot with a PicoBSD-esque system,
I looked at my disklabel and I saw all kinds of scary messages.

# bsdlabel ad0s1
partition a: partition extends past end of unit
partition c: partition extends past end of unit
bsdlabel: partition c doesn't start at 0!
bsdlabel: An incorrect partition C may cause problems for standard system
utilities.

bsdlabel ad0s2 reports the same errors

The disklabel is as was created by sysinstall.  Funny, the error about not
starting at zero.  The compatibility mode slicing forces the 63 sector
offset.  This is hardly an error.

1 - I am wondering, do these errors is prevent my second slice (ad0s2)
from booting?

2 - The first slice (ad0s1) boots, so what's with the scary messages?

I should mention that I have an old BIOS that has the 1023 cylinder limit.
With both of my root slices under 200MB, I am well with this limit.

Later,
Jason C. Wells