Re: -pthread deprecated, but when?

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 01:07:46 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 September 2003 06:23, leafy wrote:
> > IMO this deprecation deserves a place in UPDATING. And what are the
> > plans to Do The Right Thing? QT currently does not compile on -current
> > with the -pthread deprecated.

Probably be nice to bump __FreeBSD_version too, just for fun.

> Was port_at_ informed before the change?

Yes.

> I'm also very interested what the plans are to Do The Right Thing.

The right thing to do is to file a PR when this stuff breaks. This
process will actually be a good thing, since ports should not have been
compiling on -current with -pthread for a long time now.

BTW, several ports have already been fixed, and the fix is not
difficult. I do the following in my ports:

        _at_ ${CP} ${WRKSRC}/configure ${WRKSRC}/configure.Patched
        _at_ ${SED} -e 's#-lpthread#${PTHREAD_LIBS}#g' \
                -e 's#malloc.h#stdlib.h#g' \
                ${WRKSRC}/configure.Patched > ${WRKSRC}/configure

Any occurences of -lc_r should be changed to ${PTHREAD_LIBS} too.

HTH,

Doug