Re: Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands

From: Scott Reese <sreese_at_codysbooks.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:34:31 -0700
On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 14:14, Scott Reese wrote:
> [I'm not presently subscribed to this list so please CC me in any
> replies.  Thank you]
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm running 5.1-RELEASE-p2 and I just upgraded my machine from a PIII
> 800 MHz processor with 256 MB RAM to a PIV 2.4 GHz processor and VIA P4B
> 400 motherboard with 512 MB RAM.  The system starts and runs great, but
> I can't build anything with it anymore.  I keep getting internal
> compiler errors such as this one:
>
> /usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto/des/des_enc.c: In function
> `DES_ede3_cbc_encrypt':
> /usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto/des/des_enc.c:405: insn does not satisfy
> its constraints:
> (insn 655 653 657 (parallel[
>             (set (reg:SI 2 ecx [219])
>                 (ashift:SI (reg:SI 0 eax [217])
>                     (const_int 16 [0x10])))
>             (clobber (reg:CC 17 flags))
>         ] ) 408 {*ashlsi3_1} (insn_list 653 (nil))
>     (nil))
> /usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto/des/des_enc.c:405: Internal compiler
> error in reload_cse_simplify_operands, at reload1.c:8338
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> That was from attempting to build world.  I also tried building a new
> kernel and compiling gcc 3.3.1 from ports but all ended with an ICE
> similar to the one above and the error is never in the same place.  I
> know there are some issues with PIV's that cause this kind of odd
> behavior so I was wondering if anyone has any clue what the problem
> might be.  Searches in Google Groups have turned up nothing at all.  I
> would be most grateful for any suggestions or pointers to FAQ's, docs or

Replying to myself here, but I just wanted to add that I just cvsup'd to
-current and attempted to build world.  I receive the internal compiler
error I mention above.  Exactly the same error.  Could something have
gotten hosed in my compiler somehow?  If so, any idea how to
diagnose/fix the problem?

Thanks again,
Scott