Internal compiler error in reload_cse_simplify_operands

From: Scott Reese <sreese_at_codysbooks.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:14:34 -0700
[I'm not presently subscribed to this list so please CC me in any
replies.  Thank you]

Hello,

I'm running 5.1-RELEASE-p2 and I just upgraded my machine from a PIII
800 MHz processor with 256 MB RAM to a PIV 2.4 GHz processor and VIA P4B
400 motherboard with 512 MB RAM.  The system starts and runs great, but
I can't build anything with it anymore.  I keep getting internal
compiler errors such as this one:

/usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto/des/des_enc.c: In function
`DES_ede3_cbc_encrypt':
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto/des/des_enc.c:405: insn does not satisfy
its constraints:
(insn 655 653 657 (parallel[
            (set (reg:SI 2 ecx [219])
                (ashift:SI (reg:SI 0 eax [217])
                    (const_int 16 [0x10])))
            (clobber (reg:CC 17 flags))
        ] ) 408 {*ashlsi3_1} (insn_list 653 (nil))
    (nil))
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto/des/des_enc.c:405: Internal compiler
error in reload_cse_simplify_operands, at reload1.c:8338
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

That was from attempting to build world.  I also tried building a new
kernel and compiling gcc 3.3.1 from ports but all ended with an ICE
similar to the one above and the error is never in the same place.  I
know there are some issues with PIV's that cause this kind of odd
behavior so I was wondering if anyone has any clue what the problem
might be.  Searches in Google Groups have turned up nothing at all.  I
would be most grateful for any suggestions or pointers to FAQ's, docs or

Thank you,
Scott