Re: Bad performance

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:34:01 +0200
On 13 Sep 2003 14:52:29 +0200
sebastian ssmoller <sebastian.ssmoller_at_web.de> wrote:

> then i moved the disk from the hardware used during install into the
> "production" environment which includes VIA 82C8363 (Apollo KT133A)
> board, NVidia GeForce2 grafic card (using nvidia native driver for x11),
> AMD Duron 750 MHz, 512 mb ram.
>
> everything worked fine again. BUT: launching gdm needs a lot of time,
> same for gnome2. when i start moz-firebird i am unabled to use it for
> minutes (!) until it reacts on user events (typing inet adress into
> address bar), same for gaim.

> ps: the system i used to installed fbsd first is: AMD Duron 800 MHz,
> VIA  VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133] board, old SIS 8MB pci video card, 256 mb
> ram

Is the system connected to a network, and if yes, does the network cards
on both systems differ? If yes, have a look at the output of "dmesg" and
try to find you network card. If you have it modify /etc/rc.conf
("ifconfig_<interface_name>" line).

This sounds to me like a DNS problem, please check your default gateway
(rc.conf: "gateway" line) too.

Bye,
Alexander.

--