Re: Bad performance

From: sebastian ssmoller <sebastian.ssmoller_at_web.de>
Date: 13 Sep 2003 18:05:59 +0200
On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 16:34, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On 13 Sep 2003 14:52:29 +0200
> sebastian ssmoller <sebastian.ssmoller_at_web.de> wrote:
>
> > then i moved the disk from the hardware used during install into the
> > "production" environment which includes VIA 82C8363 (Apollo KT133A)
> > board, NVidia GeForce2 grafic card (using nvidia native driver for x11),
> > AMD Duron 750 MHz, 512 mb ram.
> >
> > everything worked fine again. BUT: launching gdm needs a lot of time,
> > same for gnome2. when i start moz-firebird i am unabled to use it for
> > minutes (!) until it reacts on user events (typing inet adress into
> > address bar), same for gaim.
>
> > ps: the system i used to installed fbsd first is: AMD Duron 800 MHz,
> > VIA  VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133] board, old SIS 8MB pci video card, 256 mb
> > ram
>
> Is the system connected to a network, and if yes, does the network cards
> on both systems differ? If yes, have a look at the output of "dmesg" and
> try to find you network card. If you have it modify /etc/rc.conf
> ("ifconfig_<interface_name>" line).

the system has two realtek network cards. both seem to work correctly -
i've no connection problems - connection performance is ok.

> This sounds to me like a DNS problem, please check your default gateway
> (rc.conf: "gateway" line) too.

dns seems to be ok. all requests are resolved correctly ...
default gateway should not be the problem cause without ppp (dsl) this
system is the default gw for the rest of the intranet and with ppp the
default gw seems to be ok too.

as mentioned: really bad performace occurs when lauching mozilla, gaim,
gnome2, etc. ... when mozilla is running the perfomance seems to be ok
... possibly a bit too slow but i do not know how to proof this (?)

i suppose a udma/disk/controller problem. i found out that the
southbridge i use (VIA 82C686B) has some bugs. but in fbsd 5.0 release
notes i found a bugfix for that so i am not sure about it ...

thx && regards,
seb