Re: devd/devctl

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:26:29 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> Yes.  that has been the plan for some time now.  However, dhclient is
> really lame in a lot of ways.  Martin Blapp has made it a lot better
> of lates.  In geral, I tend to believe that I shouldn't fix bugs in
> dhclient with devd things.  However, a more general trend to more
> event types would be good because a device arriving isn't quite the
> same as a network interface arriving...

In dhclient's defense, it's really designed to provide functionality on
a wide variety of platforms, with a wide variety of dhcpd's, so it has
"issues." I think Martin did a good job of defining an improvement that
applies to all/most platforms (only try to broadcast if we have link).
That functionality is being ported back to the vendor, if it hasn't been
already. If we want really cool whizbang features that are more specific
to us, we _should_ be looking at stuff like devd. The trick is definig
which problem space we're addressing at any given moment. :)

Doug